Huevos rancheros (or rancher's eggs) are a typical breakfast served at Mexican farms, featuring corn tortillas and fried eggs topped with plenty of warmed salsa. ...
For the tomato sauce
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chopped thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (add more to taste)
- 1 x 400g tin diced tomatoes
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 2 tsp Siúcra rich dark sugar
- 4 rashers smoked bacon
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp grated mature cheddar cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- Chopped parsley, to garnish
- 4 medium tortilla, to serve
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced, to serve
- 4 tbsp sour cream, to serve
To make the tomato sauce
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion, thyme, garlic and chilli, sauté over a low heat until soft. Add the tomatoes, stock, sugar and cook on a low heat for about 18 minutes. Set aside.
2. Cook the bacon rashers and fry the eggs until your preferred doneness.
1. Place a warm tortilla on each plate, spoon over some of the tomato sauce. Place the bacon on top. Add the egg.
2. Sprinkle over the cheese and arrange the bacon at the side.
3. Place slices of avocado on top and spoon over some sour cream.
4. Sprinkle over the parsley.